Let’s start with some definitions:
- Aberrant cell growth(or cancer) occurs in the absence of natural cell death causing cells to grow and divide without end.
- Tumor formationis the process where cells divide and form a neoplasm. Not all tumors are malignant. Malignant tumors are comprised of cancer cells that are potentially life-threatening.
- Angiogenesisis the process where new blood vessels grow from existing ones. It is a normal process in the body, but is also involved in the process where a dormant or benign tumor changes into a malignant one.
- Metastasisis the process where cancer cells spread, typically through the lymphatic system.
How is prostate cancer different than other cancers?
Prostate and breast cancer are similar in that unlike most cancers, these two cancers are hormone-sensitive. Prostate cancer cells contain receptors that are sensitive to testosterone, while breast cancer cells contain receptors that are sensitive to estrogen. Recent research also suggests that estrogen may play a role in the development and progression of prostate cancer.
What is anti-tumor activity?
Anti-tumor activity prevents or slows aberrant cell growth. There are a number of mechanisms that accomplish this, but we will focus on three in particular:
- Angiogenesis inhibitors.Angiogenesis is fueled by a substance called Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor ("VEGF"). Blocking the action of VEGF prevents the formation of blood vessels that surround and then feed cancerous tumors.
- Inducing apoptosis. Normal cells naturally die by a process called apoptosis, but cancer cells don’t die. Inducing apoptosis on cancer cells is a key element in any anti-cancer program.
- Protein kinase inhibitors.Protein kinases are analogous to wires running from the outside of a cell into its where the DNA is found. Cut these wires, and you short-circuit the cell to stop the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
What can I do to encourage anti-tumor activity?
Make smart choices. Here are 5 you can start doing right now:
- Don’t smoke.Enough said.
- Stop eating crap.Processed foods frequently contain things you would not choose to eat on their own: sugar, simple carbs, trans-fats, and additives.
- Start eating smartly.Fresh, organic foods that are thoughtfully prepared. Lean protein, vegetables, and fruit are the foundation of a healthy diet. And spice it up a bit with garlic, onions, rosemary and turmeric.
- Think before you drink.Do your best to avoid drinking anything that includes sugar. Green tea is a nice option. Enjoy a nice glass of red wine when you can: it contains resveratrol, a handy excuse.
- Get moving.It is not just dogs and children that need exercise: the benefits to cancer patients are well known.
What supplements encourage anti-tumor activity?
Although there are a number of great choices here, you should always work with a health care professional with specific expertise in this area to guide you.
That said, your strategy against any form of cancer should always include multiple lines of defense. We recommend a thoughtful, integrative program comprised of relevant medical expertise, sound lifestyle choices, and appropriate supplementation.
As always, please contact Dr. Geo for more information, specific recommendations, or referrals to a qualified health care practitioner near you.
Take action to reduce any potential sources of aberrant cell growth in your body. Doing so will improve your health and ability to combat disease.
Work closely with your cancer specialist, but also take action to boost your body's ability to combat this disease by making the smart dietary, lifestyle, and supplementation choices.
As always, it comes down to making good choices and to committing yourself to doing what is necessary. You can do this! Let us know how we can help.