What is detoxification?
The term is as widely used as it is misunderstood. The underlying concept is that the toxins that accumulate in your body can cause illness and disease, and that by ridding your body of these toxins you are boosting your body's innate ability to heal. The goal of detoxification is to convert toxins into a water-soluble form that can enter your bloodstream, be processed by your liver, and then be eliminated through urine or fecal matter.
Where are these toxins coming from?
Primarily from you. Most toxins enter your body along with the food you eat, the water you drink, and the air you breathe. Rather than stopping all 3 of these activities, you can reduce your exposure to toxins by making better choices about what you put into your body.
For example, so called "conventional" produce is exposed to herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides that cannot be completely washed away. Charred meats, plastic and plastic-lined containers, paint solvents, aerosol sprays, cigarettes, automobile fumes, tap water (and even some bottled), industrial waste, and on and on...all expose you to toxins.
Why are prostate cancer patients particularly vulnerable?
As a prostate cancer patient, your immune system already "has its hands full" fighting aberrant cell growth. Toxins not only further tax your immune system, some toxins can actually spur aberrant cell growth by either disrupting normal DNA function or stimulating prostate cancer estrogen receptors.
Knowing this, let's now discuss what you can start doing right now to reduce your exposure to toxins, and to eliminate the toxins that you are already carrying.
How can I reduce my exposure to toxins?
Make smart choices. For example, here are 5 things you can start doing right now:
- Stop eating crap. Processed foods contain additives. Conventional foods contain some level of pesticides. Charred foods contain carcinogens. And so on.
- Start eating smartly. Whole foods. Pesticide-free (aka organic) foods. Thoughtfully prepared foods. We are not suggesting a deprivation diet. Quite the opposite: we are encouraging you to discover the pleasure of delicious, nutritious food.
- Think before you drink. Invest in a good water filter. Drink plenty of clean water. Don't drink anything containing ingredients that you cannot pronounce.
- Don't inhale. The only thing worst for you than second-hand smoke is first-hand smoke. Consider what comprises fumes and other airborne pollutants before you take another breath that contains them.
- Opt for glass. Try to avoid plastic containers, in particular any plastic containers that at any time contained something hot. And yes, Styrofoam is plastic.
How can I eliminate the toxins already in my body?
Once again, make smart choices. Certain supplements are designed to convert toxins into the water-soluble form that can enter your bloodstream, be processed by your liver, and then be safely eliminated.*
As always, contact Dr. Geo or your health care specialist for specific recommendations, but for example, here are 3 supplements that you may want to consider in some combination:
- GDtoxSelcontains a number of compounds which support liver detoxification, antioxidant activity, and hormone-balancing, plus stimulates your body’s own detox-promoting protective enzymes.*
- ImmunoPCTN is an effective chelator that supports the elimination of heavy metals such as lead and mercury.*
- Paleomeal provides a good source of the amino acids that are the building blocks of the antioxidant GSH, which is known to boost your body's own ability to eliminate toxins.*
You have an opportunity to boost your body's ability to combat illness and disease. The first step is to stop compromising this innate ability with unnecessary, avoidable exposure to toxins. The second is to systematically rid your body of the toxins already present. As always, it comes down to making smart choices and to committing yourself to doing what is necessary. Start now; this problem will not resolve itself. You can do this. Let us know how we can help.